Contact

Internet4In Lithuania, internal area codes consist of a zero mostly followed by 2 digits for the town, followed by 6 digits for the local subscriber number. Smaller towns have a zero and then 3 digits and the 5 digit local subscriber number. Vilnius has 7 digit numbers and just 05 as the city code. The national number’s total length is always 8 digits if one excludes the initial zero (as one must, of course, when dialling from abroad).

To call abroad from Lithuania, the international access code is 00

International and roaming calls are expensive. To reduce your bill you can

Buy “phone cards” for international calls
Talk over the Internet

Land line phones

There is monopoly operator for land line phones – TEO (now it belongs to “TeliaSonera AB”), a subsidiary of Sweden (Telia) and Finland (Sonera). Land line phones are easy to find in all country. Phones are used with cards, witch you can find in kiosks, “TEO” or newspaper stands.

Mobile phones

Numbers begin 06nnn, where the three digits “n” indicate the original network provider. There are three mobile phone operators in Lithuania: Omnitel, BITE and TELE 2. About 97% of the country’s surface is covered by the standard European GSM 900/1800 MHz network, the remaining 3% are non-walkable forests.

Internet

If you’re bringing a laptop, Wireless LAN Hot-Spots are available in distinct places (mostly “Zebra” from – TEO), sometimes free, otherwise not very cheap. Best chances of finding one are at airports, railway stations, in cafés, shopping malls, universities, various places. You can ask in your hotel, but be prepared to pay. For those who need to connect at an Internet cafes, major cities do have internet cafes. You can get free wireless Internet in Kaunas main pedestrian street – Laisvės Alėja. Internet speed in Lithuania is actually better than American internet speed. Download speed reaches 26.2 Mb/s, while upload speed is 16.8 Mb/s. Keep in mind that the internet service that provide such speeds are not free.

With your mobile phone you can use: CSD, HSCSD, GPRS or EDGE, but the cost may be unattractive. UMTS is only available in some bigger cities. If your phone is not SIM-locked, you may consider purchasing a pre-paid SIM card designed for data access.

If you want to communicate with your friends or locals using internet, you’ll need two programs Skype or ICQ. The most popular chatting program is Skype, all of which can be used in English as well. As well in Lithuania social websites are getting very popular. The most popular is ONE.lt, second popular (>600,000 users) is Facebook. Myspace exists, but it is not widely used.

Comments

Loading